a bit about me

Hello & Good Day! My name is John Diesel — I am the happy fellow in the stern. The happy fellow in the bow clicking the selfie is son Louis. We are on the lower Buffalo River in NW Arkansas. I am still in NW AR and a teacher by trade. Our fine young man is in S. Korea working for Startup Junkie  out of Fayetteville, AR, as Director, Head of Asia — a pretty impressive title, if I do say so myself.  (Mom’s not a canoer – here’s a pic of us 3  from some years ago, and another.)

We went again last July 29

Alas — this summer we won’t be going.

Anyway, I got bummed out with the presidential election and subsequent developments, bummed out enough to decide I needed a change and left my position as EAST Facilitator at Greenland High School. The change has given me quite a revision, transformation really, in perspective. I needed this change, I now well see, as I was in a bit of a rut. I have been substitute teaching, everything from art to special ed — it’s fun and a bit of a hoot at times, but no place to hang your hat.  Looking for a full-time position now. Proving to be a bit more difficult than I imagined.

Been a teacher for close to four decades — I take the job very seriously.  Our country needs critical thinkers now more than ever.  It is mandatory we teach with an adherence to the highest standards of integrity,  dependability, resolve, dignity, diversity, innovation and the like and hold to these standards with a thorough knowledge of and passion for the subject at hand. My focus on any class I teach is on reading and writing, critical thinking, and an appreciation of history, literature, and technology with the goal of the student having a good understanding of our country, civilization, and place in time. (Here’s a link to my resume.)

Started off this edublogs blog thinking to focus on technology. Ed Tech is our friend inside and outside the classroom, but it’s a chore to know and stay abreast of its ever-changing and ever-evolving nature. I thought to consider certain categories of technology that have application in education and illustrate each using a specific tool or two. Started off with the Cult of Pedagogy JumpStart Course, then went several other directions, each having to do with good old Ed Tech, who’s good to know and great, we most all agree, but I began to be miffed learning and staying abreast without actually using it, that is, teaching something with it, and not having a G Suite account added to the frustration. My frustration serendipitously stumbled upon ArkansasIDEAS — I mounted the ArkansasIDEAS Course Horse and started riding — riding and rounding up content, refreshing known content and learning new; and last summer I discovered Next Gen Personal Finance  — and my, my — what a discovery. I have always emphasized Career Ed to my students, regardless of the course — Next Gen is a tremendous resource, and that is an understatement!

Visit trueaim.edublog.org and see posts 18 & 19, if you like.

I started this blog to illustrate some acumen with educational technology, and depending on where and when I get a full-time position will determine what ed tech is available and allowed, so I decided to focus on ArkansasIDEAS and Next Gen Personal Finance  simply because technology is always changing and I am adept at adapting.

The 3 W’s:  Wear a mask – Watch your distance – Wash your hands!

Thank you!

——————————————————————–

Focus: the truer the aim, the sweeter the life